South Carolina Residential Builders Commission
How can I become a Registered as a Specialty Contractor?
A residential specialty contractor is an independent contractor, who is not a licensed residential builder. The specialty contractor contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvements, or re-improvements requiring special skills and involving the use of specialized construction trades or crafts, when the undertakings exceed $200.
In addition to licensing residential builders, the Commission also registers specialty contractors in the following 9 classifications at the cost of $50 and upon credit approval:
- Vinyl and aluminum siding installers
- Insulation installers
- Floor covering installers
- Drywall installers
- Stucco installers
- Painters/Wall paper hange
To become registered as a specialty contractor in South Carolina, you are required to:
- File a written application as required by the Commission.
- Fee must be a certified check, cashiers check or money order only.
- Submit three (3) reference letters from individuals that knows your work.
- Submit a surety bond if the work will exceed $5,000.