South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners
Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCP) Licensure Information
The following files are in portable document format (pdf) and require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print.
The following are the basic requirements for obtaining licensure to practice as a respiratory care practitioner. Applicants should consult the South Carolina Medical Practice Act to obtain the detailed requirements.
Permanent License Requirements
- Passage of entry-level NBRC exam (CRT)
- Verification from all states in which RCP held licensure
- A copy of certificate/diploma from respiratory care program
Limited License Requirements
- Proof of graduation from a program approved by the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education or a signed affidavit stating date of expected graduation within 45 days
In order to reactivate your South Carolina respiratory care practitioner license, you must submit an application and:
- have all state licenses/certificates verified (active and inactive)
- provide 30 hours of CME obtained within two years of this application and
- provide a statement to the Board regarding your activity since your license was placed on inactive status by the Board. This statement must include all places of employment, job titles and job duties.
Update from Limited to Permanent Licensure Requirements
- Proof of passage of entry-level NBRC exam (CRT)
- Update fee of $40