Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Respiratory Care Committee
          Acupunture Advisory Committee
          Physician Assistant Committee
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4500
        Administrator:Sheridon Spoon
        Advice Counsel:   Adam Russell (Discipline)   **
        Advice Counsel:   Darra Coleman (Policy)   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners

Physicians Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become licensed?

By making application to the Board for licensure and submitting the required documents outlined in the application.

Does SC have reciprocity with any other state?

No. License is granted on an individual basis.

Can I get a temporary license?

Yes. A temporary license, under certain circumstances, may be issued to applicants who meet all requirements for a permanent license and have filed a completed application.

However, a "Yes” response to questions on the application may require an appearance before the full board before a temporary license can be issued.

Does SC have the ten(10) year rule?

Yes, In addition to meeting all other licensure requirements, an applicant shall pass the Special Purpose Examination (SPEX) or the Composite Osteopathic Variable-Purpose Examination (COMVEX), unless the applicant can document within ten years of the date of filing a completed application to the board one of the following:

(1) National Board of Medical Examiners examination;

(2) National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners examination;

(3) FLEX;

(4) USMLE;

(5) MCCQE;

(6) SPEX;



(9) ECFMG;

(10) Certification, recertification, or a certificate of added qualification examination by a specialty board recognized by either the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), or other organization approved by the board; or

(11) maintenance of certification by a specialty board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Osteopathic Association, or another organization approved by the board, as evidenced by having acquired one hundred fifty hours of Category I continuing medical education approved by the American Medical Association or American Osteopathic Association, as appropriate, and the specialty board of the applicant during the three years preceding the date of application.

Back to Top

Do I have to take the SPEX or COMVLEX even though I am certified or recertified by my ABMS or AOA Board and grandfathered in?

Yes. SC requires one of the above exams within the last 10 years

Does SC require Primary Source Verification?

Yes. Primary source verification of an applicant's identity, medical education, postgraduate training, examination history, disciplinary history, and other core information required for licensure in this State must be provided through an independent credentials verification organization approved by the board.

Contact the Federation Credentials Verification Services (FCVS) at 400 Fuller Wiser Road, Suite 300, Euless, TX 76039, telephone (888) 275-3287 or e-mail to request your Physician Information Profile.

How long does it take to get a license?

Application will be processed with 14 days after received by the Board. You can check the status of your application online from the Board's online services.

How do I obtain Control Substance Registration?

Applications for both federal and state registration are available from the Narcotic and Drug Control Division, Dept. of Health and Environmental Control, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201, (803) 896-0634.

Can I get a SC license if my license is currently revoked, suspended, restricted in any way, on probationary or has disciplinary action pending?

No. The board must not issue a permanent license to a licensed physician of another state of the United States:

(1) whose license is currently revoked, suspended, restricted in any way, or on probationary status in that state; or

(2) who currently has disciplinary action pending in any state.

Back to Top

What documentation is required to renew my permanent SC License?

The continued professional competency of a physician holding a permanent license must be demonstrated in the following manner:

(1) For renewal of a permanent license initially issued during a biennial renewal period, compliance with all educational, examination, and other requirements for the issuance of a permanent license is sufficient for the first renewal period following initial licensure.

(2) For renewal of an active permanent license biennially, documented evidence of at least one of following options during the renewal period is required:

(a) forty hours of Category I continuing medical education sponsored by the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, or another organization approved by the board as having acceptable standards for courses it sponsors, at least thirty hours of which must be related directly to the licensee's practice area;

(b) certification of added qualifications or recertification after examination by a national specialty board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties or American Osteopathic Association or another approved specialty board certification;

(c) completion of a residency program or fellowship in medicine in the United States or Canada approved by the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education or American Osteopathic Association;

(d) passage of the Special Purpose Examination or Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Variable Purpose Examination; or

(e) successful completion of a clinical skills assessment program approved by the board, such as the Institute for Physician Evaluation or the Center for Personalized Education for Physicians.

How do I request a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request?

Back to Top

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Directions | Site Map | Privacy | Disclaimer | Customer Satisfaction Survey | Contact Us | Other Languages
Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)

The S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is pleased to provide various publications in portable document format (PDF).
You will need Adobe Reader to view and print these publications.