Telephone: (803) 896-4655
Veronica Reynolds Shaun Strother Adam Russell
Advice Counsel to the Board
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels, as well as their administrative staff.
These attorneys do not provide legal advice to
parties outside LLR.
Telephone: (803) 896-4655
The South Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (SCBPTE) requires that applicants sit for and pass the National Physical Therapy Examinations (NPTE) as a prerequisite for licensure. The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) is the organization responsible for administering and developing these examinations. Although, SCBPTE neither administers nor develops the examination, it is responsible for ensuring that qualified candidates sit for the NPTE. No applicant who has failed the exam three (3) or more times is eligible for licensure whether or not the exams were taken in South Carolina. Exam scores must meet the criterion-referenced passing point equal to a scaled score of 600 based on a range of 200-800.
Applicants must be graduates of a Board-approved physical therapy program at a school, college or university located within the continental United States or its territories which has satisfied the accreditation standards of the Commission on Accreditation for Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). Individuals who are not must have their educational credentials evaluated to determine if their education is equivalent to the requirements of physical therapists educated in United States educational programs as determined by the Board. Physical therapy schools located outside of the USA or its territories that are accredited by CAPTE are not considered Board-approved programs.
Applicants who are not graduates of a Board-approved program must have their completed applications reviewed by the Board.
Applications are considered incomplete without all of the required documents, fees and photograph. Applications for licensure must be completed within one (1) year from the date it was received into the Board office. If not, the application and required documentation must be resubmitted with the applicable fees.
Any candidate with a documented disability may request special accommodations to take the examination. The Request for Accommodation form can be found online and must be submitted with the initial application.
Please refer to the National Physical Therapy Examinations Handbook for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants for any questions concerning taking the computerized NPTE.
South Carolina Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (SCBPTE) makes the determination on applicants' eligibility to sit for the NPTE. The decision is based on educational requirements and other guidelines listed in this application packet. Once the applicant has been deemed as eligible to sit for the exam, the Board will notify FSBPT of eligibility. The applicant must register online for the exam and pay the applicable fee. The fee must be paid when an application is submitted to SCBPTE. The website address is: www.fsbpt.org FSBPT will notify the applicant in writing when the SCBPTE has approved your request for examination with instructions on how to schedule the NPTE.
Applicants may check the status of their NPTE application or eligibility letter with the FSBPT online at https://www.fsbpt.net/pt or by calling (703) 739-9420. Applicants are also responsible for payment of the Test Center fees at the time the exam is scheduled.
The exam results will not be given over the telephone. If an applicant passes the exam, SCBPTE will issue the license and mail a wall certificate and a wallet size license. If an applicant fails the NPTE, you may take the exam a second (2nd) time by submitting the application found online to Repeat NPTE. Note: Exam fee must be paid online. If the NPTE is failed a second (2nd ) time, applicants must take courses approved by the Board and required to furnish evidence of completing the required coursework, and Board appearance is required prior to the approval of a third (3rd) and final time.
Applicants must submit all required forms and documentation listed below to SCBPTE. All documents must have the original signature in ink. The Board will not accept faxes the original document must be sent in.
1. Application for Licensure as a Physical Therapist or Physical Therapist Assistant in South Carolina with all sections completed by applicant, include a current passport photograph and the non-refundable application fee of $120 payable to SCBPTE. Personal checks are acceptable. A $30 charge will be imposed for checks returned for insufficient funds.
2. A copy of the legal document with any change of name. (A copy of the marriage license, divorce decree indicating the name change, etc).
Mail the application for licensure, fee and all required documents to:
SC Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
P. O. Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211-1329
Please make your Check Payable to SCBPTE
3. NPTE payment must be paid online at the time your application is submitted to SCBPTE. Register and pay the exam fee at www.fsbpt.net/pt
4. Verification of Completion of Graduation Requirements, Form C-20. The form must be mailed directly to SCBPTE from the school and received for admission to exam. If an official transcript is available the Form C-20 is not necessary but, the transcript must be mailed directly to SCBPTE from the school. SCBPTE will not accept transcripts issued to the students.
5. The Official transcript with registrar's seal and must include the physical therapy degree and date of the degree was conferred. The transcript must be mailed directly to SCBPTE from the school in a sealed envelope and must be on file in the Board's office prior to a license being issued. If an original transcript is provided to a credentialing agency for evaluation, a copy of the transcript is acceptable only if submitted directly to SCBPTE from the credentialing agency. Transcripts that are received from applicants will not be accepted and will be returned to the applicant.
6. NPTE scores are accepted as a transfer score report only if the applicant has applied for original licensure by exam in another state and have completed the licensure process in that state. Applicant must make the request to FSBPT Score Transfer Service, 509 Wythe Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 and pay the required fee. You may contact FSBPT Score Transfer Service at (703) 739-9420 or firstname.lastname@example.org Scores reports must be submitted directly to SCBPTE from FSBPT. The Board will not accept score reports sent from any other sources. Scores are automatically reported to South Carolina for applicants who apply for original licensure by examination in this state.
7. Proof of proficiency in the English language is required for applicants whose native language is not English (TOEFL).
Applicants are required to make a passing score in the following areas:
Exam arrangements can be made with:
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-61
Telephone: (609) 771-7100
The TOEFL code number for South Carolina is 9561. Enter this code on the answer sheet and/or the score report request form. Scores must be mailed directly to SCBPTE from Educational Testing Service. SCBPTE will not accept photocopies of score reports.