South Carolina Board of Examiners in Opticianry
Licenses and Apprenticeships Offered by the Board
- Minimum of high school education or GED must be documented with the Board.
- One of the four following requirements of training/education:
- Proof of valid and current license in opticianry from another state or
- Documentation of two years employment as an optician in a state that does not license or
- Proof of graduation from an approved two year school/program in opticianry or
- Completion of the two year S.C. Apprentice Program
- The American Board of Opticianry's Examination (ABO) must be passed as well as the South Carolina Practical Examination in Opticianry.
Contact Lens License
- A current optician's license from South Carolina is required.
- The National Contact Lens Examination (NCLE) must be passed.
S.C. Apprentice Registration
- Minimum of high school education or GED must be documented with the Board before registration in the program is granted. An annual evaluation is required on or before October 1st of each year. An apprentice must have a sponsor who is a South Carolina licensed optician, optometrist or opthalmologist. An approved formal education program must be completed.